Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first. Once you’ve verified the house it safe, you’ll want to contact SERVPRO of Rancho Cordova right away. Water damage can spread quickly, into areas of the home you wouldn’t even think would become affected. Water will go underneath floor boards into multiple rooms, wick up walls and affect even the ceiling sometimes. If the water damage occurred on a top floor, water can travel through the ceiling to rooms below and affect multiple floors. Below is a list of safety items to keep in mind while waiting for SERVPRO of Rancho Cordova to arrive.
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (916) 251-7963
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.